Newport Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Cardboard Sled Races
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Enter to win the first Newport Winterfest Cardboard Sled Races at Prouty Beach!
10am: youth 10 and under
10:30am: youth 11 and up
11:00am: adults/ family division
Awards: ($25 downtown dollars for the winning team)
- King of the Hill – Fastest Sled (Each Division)
- Best Dressed – Best looking sled, this includes the small details (One per Division)
- Theme Star – Who was the most spirited team-theme! (One per Division)
Cardboard, duct tape and glue is all that can be used in the construction of the sled. The sled shall consist of ONLY those three items. Painting or coloring the sled is welcomed and encouraged. No cardboard tubing, Styrofoam, cellophane, plastic, wax or any other type of material should be used.
- All sled racers are strongly encouraged to wear helmets.
- At least one racer must be in the sled. More than one racer can ride a sled during the race, provided all participants are inside or on top of the sled.
- Format will be single elimination. In the event that there are not many teams in a division, it will change to double elimination.
- Hard items that could be dangerous to you or other event participants cannot be used. The following items absolutely cannot be used: wood, glass, metal and plastics.
- If a sled does not pass inspection or re-inspection by staff, it will not be allowed the participate or may not be allowed on the hill.
- No more than 4 occupants will be permitted on any one sled.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your race time to check-in.
- Racers are allowed to receive a push off at the top of the hill.
- Sled construction shall consist of cardboard, glue and tape.
- Teams will be categorized by the oldest participant of the team.
- The judges have a right to remove participants from categories if they think that a sled breaks the rule of the category.
- The pilot and all riders must have read and understand the rules and have signed a waiver.
- The sled will need to race more than once.
- To qualify as a finisher, all occupants must be in or on your sled rather than chasing it or being chased by it as you cross the finish line.
Each team must designate a TEAM PARENT/MANAGER and only that person can register. The team manager will register based on the oldest participant (if an adult is racing, the sled will go to the Family Class) and will add all the sled riders during the registration process.